- Join Honors
- Scholarships and Resources
- Honors Programs
- Student Life
Alvarez Opportunities Fund
What is the Alvarez Special Opportunities Fund?
The Carlos and Malu Alvarez Special Opportunities Fund permits students to fully participate in career-building conferences, workshops, or competitions in their academic fields and will help offset expenses for student who need assistance to take advantage of internship programs in their academic fields. Awards are capped at $750 per student. This award is made possible by the generosity of Carlos and Malu Alvarez.
Eligibility and How to Apply
Applications are due by the 1st day of each month from September to May. To apply, go to the UTSA Scholarship Hub. Students rejected at one cycle are encouraged to get feedback on their application, which will be provided, and may resubmit a new application.
- The student must be registered at UTSA as an undergraduate student both at the time of application and in the term in which he or she will participate in the special opportunity.
- At the time of application, the student must have completed at least 12 hours at UTSA.
- The applicant must have a minimum UTSA GPA of 2.5.
- The applicant must have satisfied their honors event requirement.
The Carlos and Malu Alvarez Special Opportunities Fund does not fund international travel. Students interested in funding for international travel should contact the Office of International Programs. The Carlos and Malu Alvarez Special Opportunities Fund also does not support participation in programs designed to prepare students for post-graduate work, including MCAT/LSAT/GRE preparation programs and other similar experiences.
Students are also encouraged to apply for an Honors College Development Opportunity Award.