Honors Academic Counseling


As a member of the Honors College, you have access to phenomenal resources, including Academic Counselors. While Honors Counselors are assigned by college of the major, students can meet with any available Counselor. Note: Students will also have an Academic Advisor assigned to them. What’s the difference? Academic Advisors are the experts who can assist you with anything regarding your degree, courses, majors/minor/concentrations, schedules, and university policy pertaining to these. Academic Advisors are located in their respective advising centers, in the Student Success Building (university map). Honors Counselors are the experts in the Honors curriculum & requirements. They can assist you with anything regarding Honors, and are located in the Graduate School and Research Building (university map).

Honors Counselors are available to discuss things like:

  • Requirements to Graduate with Honors

  • Honors Experience Advising

  • Creating an Experience Plan

  • How to apply to an internship

  • How to create a service project

  • How to pick a Study Abroad program

Likely concerns related to major-specific Academic Advisors for major requirements include:

  • Petition for Course substitutions, not related to Honors
  • Semester Plans/Schedules
  • Prerequisite Overrides
  • Adding a Class after start of semester
  • Auditing a Course
  • Independent Study (non-Honors)
  • Time-Conflict Overrides
  • Grade Grievances
  • Credit/No Credit / Challenge Grade Options
  • Changing or Adding a Major
  • Changing or Adding a Minor
  • Applying to Graduate
  • 6 Drop Policy


Counselors are available both by appointment and by walk-in in our Experiential Learning Lab. 
Students should meet with an Honors Counselor regularly. Honors Counselors are located in the Experiential Learning Lab, in GSR 1.204, and students can meet with any available Counselor. Students can either drop in or request an appointment. To request an appointment, email honors.advising@utsa.edu. Be sure to include days & times you want to meet and your student ID (abc123). Virtual appointments are available upon request.
Below, you can see how Honors Counselors are assigned by academic college and major. You are assigned to a counselor based on your major and the college that major is located in, but you are not limited to seeing just that Counselor! Students can meet with any available Counselor. 

Honors Counselors

Alegra Lozano, M.A.

Alegra Lozano, M.A.

Director of Counseling

Megan Balasundaram, M.B.A.

Megan Balasundaram, M.B.A.

Academic Counselor II

Jennifer Riddick, M.A.

Jennifer Riddick, M.A.

Academic Counselor

Have questions? Email the Counselors at honors.advising@utsa.edu.




Honors Counselor meeting with student

Apply to Honors College

Admission to the Honors College is offered to a select number of highly motivated and successful students who wish to take charge of their education and achieve their highest potential at UTSA.